Sunday, August 22, 2010

Am i responsible for next mo rent if i move out this mo on a mo to mo rental lease?

my 1 yr lease was up 2/06. then it went to mo to mo. i gave a within 30 day notice to vacate and it was agreed verbally by mng. my lease says i can give notice on any date. now mng says the ownwer wants me to pay next mo rent. i wont be renting from him next mo. i will be renting from someone else. mng says he will bill me then send me to collections. ive never been late and have been a good tenate. they even offered me another apt. here to stay. i am moving closer to wrk and no longer wish to stay. what are my rights? do i have to pay move in costs on my new place and next mo rent in my old place eventhough i move out and have given notice? please helpAm i responsible for next mo rent if i move out this mo on a mo to mo rental lease?
What state are you in?





That does not sound right. If you are a ';tenant at will'; (that is, you have no lease at all), the rules change. Usually, you only have to give 2 weeks notice to move out and the landlord has no right to demand any further rent from you. I'm not a lawyer, it's been a while since I've looked up landlord-tenant law, and it may vary state to state. What state are you in?





P.S. The notice should be in writing.





Is there any mention of ';month-to-month'; rentals in the lease you had? Did you sign a ';month-to-month'; rental agreement?Am i responsible for next mo rent if i move out this mo on a mo to mo rental lease?
THEY are trying to scam you. If you are on a month to month, you can move out whenever.... I have seen this so many times.. they are after free money..
I would say NO, you do not owe another month rent to the slum lord. But I guess he will have the option to take you to small claims court. SO If I wewre you I'd document every single little thing I did or said to both the manager and slum lord. GOOD LUCK
No.. You don't have to pay. Just leave on the the date that is still covered with your payment and you have no obligation to pay for the next month's rental.
as long as you gave at least the amount of notice that is in the lease agreement, you don't owe it. they are just trying to intimdate you into paying another months rent
Law varies by state, but on a month to month rental you must give 30 days notice in writing. So if you move and do NOT give notice YES you are responsible for next month's rent. The Landlord needs leed time to clean, fix, and advertise his property.
You should have gotten the 30 day notice in writing. Also, if you have a lease stating that you can move out on any date, I believe you are still obligated to give the 30 day notice.





If you are currently month to month, I would go back to mng and give a 30 day notice and have it is writing sgned by mng. You are no longer under contract, so you should be able to leave w/o paying fees...with the 30 day notice.





Good luck...and re read you lease to make sure you didn't miss any clauses. And show your lease to you mng.
you are NOT responsible for any rent beyond your occupancy. If you gave a notice to vacate written or other wise and you are out of the current address by the 1st of the following month and you have no damage charges they cannot make you pay a dime
no, you dont have to pay at your place. it was stated in a verbal agreement. and believe me collections will laugh in his or her face

No comments:

Post a Comment