Sunday, August 22, 2010

Question about a rental lease?

Last week my house got broken into. I moved out the next day. I felt very unsafe living there after that. I'm a single mother with 2 small children. My landlord is now trying to make me pay for the remainder of my lease (which isn't up until Feb 08) and trying to make me pay for the door. I did not break my door in, the intruders did. I also paid a $400 deposit. The house (other than the back door) is in the same shape as when I moved in. I even cleaned everything up really nice. I live in Alabama by the way if that makes a difference. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.Question about a rental lease?
Did you get a police report for this break-in? If you did, you should not be responsible for damages to the door. I am not sure you have any legal grounds to break the lease agreement. I would consult a lawyer and see what the specifics are in Alabama. Either way, if you don't feel safe, you are doing the right thing by moving your children and yourself, even if you end up paying the remainder of the lease.Question about a rental lease?
how exactly, i am dealing with the same thing as yours. my apartment got broke in about three weeks ago. i am going to talk with landlord about releasing me out of complex this week. what i did is: 1, make a police report, so apartment shouldn't make you pay for door damage. 2. seeking legal aid, find an affordable attorney, better be a female lawyer. let her talk to your landlord.


i am a single woman, i know how hard for you to get through this alone. you should know this, you don't need to buy you way out in this case.
The landlord has every right to expect payment. You broke the lease.
Having your apartment broken into is not a reason to break your lease. You landlord has every right to seek damages by your actions. As far as the door, no...you should not be held responsible unless it clearly states you are in your lease.

No comments:

Post a Comment