Sunday, August 22, 2010

Rental Lease 15 Pages Long? Unusual? How to Refuse to Sign?

I'm hoping someone may have some feedback on the following.


I've lived at the same apt. bldg. for 5 yrs (southern calif) and a year ago, the property was sold. Now, one year later after the new owner has taken charge of the property, they are presenting residents with rental agreements/lease options. The month-to-month option actually has 15 pages (unbelivable, I know). This has made me naturally curious but also smelling a rat. How can I avoid signing this bizarre lease? Thank you for any feedback. Rental Lease 15 Pages Long? Unusual? How to Refuse to Sign?
You can move.





Those are the choices.





Lease or new place to live.Rental Lease 15 Pages Long? Unusual? How to Refuse to Sign?
Read it. It may not be bizarre at all. The landlord is just covering his rear end for every possible situation. It may actually benefit you, since it likely includes many references to your state's landlord/tenant laws and everything is spelled out very clearly.





If you do not want to sign the agreement, give your notice and move out.





My month to month agreements are about 15 pages - with both sides printed. It is not unbelievable. Agreements and leases are based on state laws, have you ever looked at your state's landlord/tenant laws?





Of course, several pages are addendum, such as an move in/out inspection, requirements on how the property should be returned upon move out, rules and regulations, a printed termination notice for the tenant %26amp; lead disclosure form.





My first agreement was one page, double sided. However, after over a decade I've had to include clauses to cover every possible situation.






My lease has SIXTEEN legal-sized pages. No, it's not unusual. In fact, every time I've RENEWED and gotten a NEW lease, it's always that long. The apartment manager will (or should) go over each paragraph with you and explain it to you and get you to initial it if you understand it.
Scan it and send it to me. I'd love to see how they found 15 pages of clauses to include.





I print mine in pretty fine print to fit on a single 11';x17'; and thought it was pretty all-inclusive. I guess if it was ';full size'; print it'd be 8 pages or so, but 15? I'd like to see that
It is very, very bizarre and no way would I sign one.





The reason there is 15 pages is b/c they know you won't read it and I bet there is a reason why they don't want you to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment