Sunday, August 22, 2010

If I'm on a rental lease, do I have the right to prevent guests of another lease holder from coming over?

My room mate and other lease holder is kicking out my live in girl friend who shares part of the rent as well. I'm looking for any way to fight back since legally he can kick her out since she isn't on the lease. I'm wondering if I can prevent him from having any guests over at all or what I can do. ThxIf I'm on a rental lease, do I have the right to prevent guests of another lease holder from coming over?
If she is on the lease, then no. Unless she is doing something illegal, perhaps? If she is ON the lease, she is contractually obligated to pay rent for the remainder of her lease, even if she decided to move out on her own. She cannot be kicked out, however.





But, if she is not a signer on the lease, then your apartment may have rules about guests staying at the house. Even though she is paying rent, she would still be considered a long-term guest.If I'm on a rental lease, do I have the right to prevent guests of another lease holder from coming over?
Read your lease. What does it say about guests and how long they can stay before they are considered tenants? If it doesn't say anything, then look up your state tenancy laws. Usually there is a recognized difference between a guest who visits for part of a day, and a tenant who stays over night more than once in a while.





The line between guests and tenants can be gray at times, but somewhere, either in your lease or in state laws, its defined more clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment